EATING DISORDER FACTS
- 75% of American women are dissatisfied with their appearace.
- 51% of 9- and 10-year olds feel better about themselves if they are on a diet.
- 50% of 9- and 10-year olds have dieted.
By age 16, 45% are crash dieting, 40% are fasting and 15% are taking diet pills.
- 35% of dieters progress toward pathological dieting and up to 25% may progress toward a full blown eating disorder.
- Eating Disorders among men and boys are rapidly rising.
- Eating Disorders have the highest mortality rate (up to 20%) of any psychiatric diagnosis.
- Many insurance plans and managed care companies exclude coverage for the treatment of eating disorders.
Our mission is to eliminate eating disorders by promoting positive image and self-esteem and by discouraging unhealthy dieting behaviors, drive for thinness, and body dissatisfaction. We encourage you to listen to your body and celebrate what it does for you!